Sunday, April 15, 2012

Beansprout at 28 weeks

We got a surprise ultrasound of Beansprout this past Friday!  I had my 28 week doctor's appointment, and I had scheduled a check to make sure that everything looks as it should and my chances of a premature delivery are low.  We got a nice 15 minute or so peek at Beansprout! 

We found out that he's already an overachiever and is above average in weight for his gestational age.  An average almost-29-weeker weighs between 2.5-3 lbs.  Well, Beansprout is estimated to be 3 lbs, 5 oz.  I'm not sure how we produced a kid who is above average in weight, but maybe he is going through a growth spurt and will even out!  I am hoping for an under 8 lb baby, because I think my chances of following through with my goal of a natural delivery will be greater if he's a little smaller.  Of course, as long as he's healthy, it doesn't matter either way.

Everything looks great.  The technician measured his head and arm and leg bones, and she checked out his brain, heart, facial bones and kidneys.  Beansprout spent the majority of the ultrasound with his arms raised over his head, and we could see him punching me.  The technician confirmed my suspicions that he was head down, although I think he may have flipped since then because now I'm hearing his heartbeat on the doppler above my belly button, rather than below it, like I was before.  I think it's common for babies to flip several times in the next few weeks, so hopefully he'll wind up head down again by 35 weeks or so.

Here are a couple of photos.  The first one is his nose and mouth.  It's taken as if you were looking up his nose, and his mouth is slightly open.  The second doesn't really need an explanation, but isn't he adorable?!

1 comment:

  1. How cool! Beansprout really looks like a baby. We only had the 18 week ultrasound, but I am sure seeing this makes you feel more reassured.

    ReplyDelete