Monday, June 11, 2012

Thirty Six Weeks


How far along: 36 weeks as of Tuesday, June 5, 2012.  The funny thing is that I thought I didn't look so big in this shirt, until I saw the photo.  That is definitely a boy belly.
Size of baby: We had an ultrasound this week, and Beansprout is estimated to weigh 6 pounds, 4 oz.  (which Babycenter helpfully tells me is the weight of a crenshaw melon).  That is right at the 50th percentile for 36 weeks, so I was glad to hear he's no longer in the "above average" category.  Of course, the technician was quick to point out that the estimate could be off, in either direction, by a pound, so who knows how big Beansprout will actually be.  He is about 18.5 inches long.  He is shedding the lanugo that covered his body, as well as the vernix caseosa, the white cottage cheese like stubstance that covered him and protected his skin.  He swallows these substances, which I had no clue happened, and they form part of the meconium that is his first bowel movement.
Movement: He's still moving, but I really can't put a pattern to it like they say most people can.  He moves enough to keep me from getting worried, but sometimes if I feel like I haven't noticed many movements I will take time to relax and count.  He always meets the 10 movements per 2 hour minimum.
Sex of baby: Boy!  And now I have had numerous strangers comment on my "baby boy," without my telling them anything about the sex, or even mentioning the pregnancy, just because of the way I'm carrying.  One woman on the elevator at work told me her mother always said boy bellies look like bullets right out in front.  The cashier at an ice cream shop told me to "feed my boy" (I took him up on the demand by ordering ice cream rather than frozen yogurt, which I hope Beansprout appreciated, as I'm sure my hips and thighs did not!).  And the Russian document manager at work commented about my "baby boy."  Guess I couldn't pull off a surprise delivery, even if I wanted to!
Sleep: Not so great.  I'm waking up several times during the night, plus I'm having trouble sleeping in the morning.  I think it may be my body's way of preparing me for the baby!
Cravings: Ice cream and popsicles.  Must be summer!
Symptoms: Ankle and feet swelling, swelling in my fingers, fatigue (thanks to the lack of sleeping).
What I'm looking forward to: Setting up the baby gear and beginning to decorate the nursery.  Also, full-term!

No comments:

Post a Comment